The UEC Engineer of the Year Award recognizes outstanding engineers with significant accomplishments in various professional engineering fields in Utah communities. Each UEC member society may nominate one person for this award. Nominees and the winner will be honored at the UEC Engineers Week Banquet in February.
Nominees shall not have won this award previously. Previous nominees can be nominated again if desired. The judges highly value the nominee’s involvement in engineering projects that improve public welfare while furthering their profession. Nominees can be working as a part of a larger team, and the projects do not need to be at their place of employment, but leadership activities over or within the team are important. The list below gives insight into the judges’ approach, so try to follow the format and deliver correct content. If in doubt about an item, include it, but keep the package as concise and practical to help the judges find the real gems.
The nomination package needs to be emailed before January 15, 2021(see email below). Also, too much formatting, akin to a company proposal, or use of noncommon file types, makes the judges’ job harder. Include the following:
Signed Letter of Nomination from the sponsoring society that includes:
- Nominating society’s name.
- Nominee and sponsor’s email address and phone number
- A statement confirming that the nominee requirements have been met
- Nominee Credentials
- An approximately 200-word Summary of Accomplishments in a format that can easily be copied and pasted in the UEC Journal
- Professional activities and job responsibilities in reverse chronological order, including professional society accomplishments and positions held. Also include community service of any kind.
- List formal education and degrees conferred and certifications, licenses and so on. When in doubt, include it. The reputation of the institution counts.
- Awards and patents
- Presentations and publications
- The nominee’s name and titles as you wish them to appear on the plaque recognizing their nomination; e.g., Jane Doe, BSME, P.E.
- A high-resolution color photo of the nominee in a standalone .jpg or similar file for use at the banquet and in the UEC Journal
- You may also include signed Letters of Recommendation from the nominee’s manager, supervisor, director or another superior; a signed Letter of Recommendation from the nominee’s service or volunteer organizer; or similar.
Email all documents before January 15, 2021, to our 2021 Awards Committee Chair: Roberta Schlicher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please direct questions to Roberta at the email above or M: 801.230.9474